What are the points to be remembered by a bank staff while handling cheques? Mention.
A written documents of the account holder that orders a bank to pay a specific amount of money in which the cheque has been issued. Following things should be considered by bank staff:
- Date of cheque should not be more than 6 months old or nor should be of future date. – If the cheque is bearer, it should be paid to the bearer, if it is order cheque, should be paid after verifying identity and if the cheque is cross cheque, it should be deposited in payee’s account
- Amount should be paid only if the balance in account is sufficient
- Amount should be equal in words and letters.
- Signature done on the face of cheque by account holder should be verified from CBS.
- If the cheque is endorsed, signature should be there at backside at appropriate place and it should be verified.
- The ink in writing should be same in cheque (as per NRB, only black ink) – If cash is demanded, denominations should be filled at the backside of the cheque – If customer wants to make bank draft from cheque, same should be done after proper verification of the beneficiary.